Steps on "How to Buy a Condo!?"
Thinking of buying a condominium? Here are some simple questions to ask yourself when buying a condo.
(Don't worry if you don't have all the answers to these questions. Just thinking about them will help you get ready to start your search.)
- - Where do you want to live? What part of the city best suits your lifestyle? How will you get to work? Are there schools nearby? Where can you shop? The answer to these questions is also the answer to the first question of home buying-- which is "Where"
- - What type of home do you want to live in? After location, the next decision you'll have to make is about the kind of space you want to live in. There is a world of options to choose from, including high rise, low rise and town homes. You'll also need to think about the combination of rooms and living spaces that would best suit your needs. Do you need 1 bedroom, 2 or more? What is the best type of layout for you? What direction do you want to face and how high up would you like to be? What types of amenities are you most interested in?
- - How much do I want to pay? To answer this question, you will first need to determine how much you can afford based on the location and the type of home you want to live in. You will have to decide on an appropriate down payment as well as your mortgage carrying ability. You will need to add these numbers to all other loan expenses you might have as well as your total average monthly expenses. The sum of these numbers needs to be an amount that you can comfortably cover within your available financial resources.
- What Can I Afford? Click Here
- - Do the research: Although there are many reputable builders in the GTA, you will need to take some time to determine which builder you have the greatest confidence in. Check out various web sites, drive by locations and meet the sales representatives. Learn about a builder's reputation through someone who actually lives in one of the buildings they have developed. Find out about the level of experience they have with the type of building you want to move into.
- A great resource for builder research is on the Tarion web site: Find a Builder.For a List of New Pre-Construction Condominiums: Click Here
- - How do I make my purchase? Once you've made all the tough home buying choices, you will need to start the paper work. Because buying a home is such an emotional and exciting experience, it can be difficult to focus on contract details. We recommend that you work with a lawyer who specializes in condominium purchases to help you through this process.
- Ask Marco for a List of Lawyers: Click here
- - Agreement of Purchase & Sale: The home purchasing process starts with signing the Agreement of Purchase and Sale. You need to review it carefully as it is a legally binding contract. Not only does it include the purchase price, it also includes terms and conditions that will apply to the transaction, a description of how the purchase will be financed; the closing date; the date possession will be delivered to the buyer; pre-delivery inspection and other contingencies.
Disclosure Statements & Condo documentation (by-laws, rules & budget of the condominium corporation): The disclosure statement and documentation encapsulates all the important information about the condo you are purchasing. You will need to make sure you read this document very carefully.
To begin your Journey to purchasing your new condominium: Click Here